Wednesday, April 28, 2010

High Society

A musical remake of the Philadelphia Story, high society is a fun whirlwind of a movie.
High Society's cast has some of Hollywood's household names, Grace Kelly as Tracy Lord, Bing Crosby as C.K. Dexter-Haven, Frank Sinatra as Mike Connor, and Celeste Holm as Liz Imbrie. The film recieved two nominations for the song "True Love", nominated for best song, and best music/scoring of a musical picture (all of the music was written by Cole Porter). In addition, it recieved a WGA nomination for best written American musical.
High society begins with Louis Armstrong in a fun and upbeat song aptly titled "High Society". The story line follows the same as Philadelphia Story: a young girl engaged who has a brief moment of imperfection and kisses a reporter, then realizes that she still loves her ex husband and they get married and live happily ever after.
I enjoyed the movie a great deal. Grace Kelly was wonderful, although sometimes her portrayal of the character became confusing. I also thought the musical numbers added to the energy of the film and made it very upbeat, keeping the audience light-hearted and engaged. I enjoyed seeing Louis Armstrong but at times I felt his part was a little random. I thought it was a great adaptation of the story and I loved getting to see Frank Sinatra do his thing (and personally I would've married him in a heart beat!). Overall I give the film a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment